Sunday, March 8, 2009

it's spring!

Suddenly, over the past week, Burlingame has transformed from windy, rainy winter to bright, blooming Spring. Flowers are everywhere: the ornamental cherry and plum trees are in full bloom, the daffodils are out, and the tulips are singing songs of Spring.
 
Speaking of tulips, I actually planted some today. My brother brought wooden shoes filled with tulip bulbs back from a recent trip to Holland. I learned from the insert that they should have been in the ground by late December. My mother says that they should still bloom - they'll just be later than normal. Which means that in 8-10 weeks, we should hopefully have some bright blooms in front of our house! (The second pic is from a neighbor's yard down the street; I'll be thrilled if mine turn out half as beautiful!)

 

A quick check on the container garden confirms that it's doing well (Romeo was my helper today). The arugula remains the happiest of the bunch and is nearly big enough to start pinching leaves from for salads. The spinach and lettuce are still on the small side, but are definitely growing. The forecast is showing sun every day this week, so there should be some good growth in the coming 7 days. I'm looking forward to some tasty salads the not too distant future!


No comments:

Post a Comment